Sunday, August 29, 2010

Missi Roti (Chickpea Flatbread)



I was reading this cook book "Curry Cuisine" and one of the recipes caught my eye for it was a bright yellow flat bread with dots of red onion, cilantro and spring onions, the Rajasthani Missi Roti. It looked appetizing so i bookmarked it for the Sunday brunch.
As legend has it, chickpea increases water retention in the body and is therefore a popular snack amongst desert travelers. I followed the recipe to the dot but I was out of cilantro and spring onions. Also I never had ajwain in my pantry. So I skipped the ingredients that I ran out of and used cumin instead of ajwain, mint instead of cilantro. Also next time I am planning on using whole wheat flour instead of all purpose flour for a healthier version.

Ingredients:
1 and 1/4 cup of Besan
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp ginger paste
2 green chillies finely chopped
1 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbs finely chopped mint
1 tbs finely chopped onion
1 tbs finely chopped green onions(optional)
100 ml water
salt as per taste
1 tbsp melted ghee


Method:

Mix all the dry ingredients together, then slowly add water and knead to make a stiff dough. Leave the dough covered with a damp paper towel for 20 mins.
Make round balls of the dough and roll them into rotis. Cook the rotis on a pan on medium to low heat until they are golden brown on both sides.
Brush rotis with ghee and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment