Monday, September 27, 2010

Rajma Masala




It was when I was with my parents and my brother vacationing in Shimla, I was about 10. I still remember the day, it was pouring, all of us were soaking wet and we were famished. It was the time when there was no GPS or google maps to help us with directions, we had managed to locate our hotel through all the rain and heavy winds. Once we got there my dad ordered food from the hotel kitchen menu. We had dried ourselves and changed into something warm and in about half an hour there were hot rotis and rajma masala waiting for us in our room. I remember wiping the bowl clean with my last piece of roti and it was probably the best rajma I would ever have.
The recipe that I am sharing today is probably as close as it gets to the one I had in Shimla. Quite recently I discovered the secret to good rajma masala is LOTS of onions and tomatoes, sauteed well to make a thick gravy base.

Ingredients:
1 can Rajma beans(Red Kidney beans) washed and drained
1 Large Onion chopped roughly
3 Large fully ripe Juicy Tomatoes chopped
1 Bell pepper chopped finely
2 Tbsp Rajma masala powder or Garam masala powder
1 tsp red chili powder or as per taste
Salt as per taste.


Method:
1. Heat oil in a pan on med-high heat.
2. Sautee Onions followed by bell pepper and tomatoes(take your time on this one, its better you do not cut your time on this one). Let all the veggies cook through.
3. Add Rajma powder and red chili powder, stir. Let it sit on the heat for a couple of minutes
4. Add Rajma beans and stir in some salt.
5. Cover and cook on medium for about 10 mins before you turn off the heat.
If you like more gravy add a little water before step5.

Serve with Rice or Rotis.

No comments:

Post a Comment