Tuesday, November 9, 2010
Usually I use garam masala or pulao masala but I ran out of both so I made do with whatever I had. I didnt follow any specific recipe but just went on a whim. It turned out super good! This recipe is a keeper.
21/2 cups of basmati rice soaked in water for about 30 mins
5 eggs boiled and cubed
1 Large onion chopped into thin long slices
1 cup of diced carrots, beans, and green peas
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
1/8th cup tomato paste
2 tbsp cumin powder
2 tbsp coriander powder
2 bay leaves
1 inch piece of cinnamon
2 tbsp Chili powder or as per taste
Salt to taste
1. Cook rice in rice cooker with cloves,salt for taste and 2/1/2 cups of water. Cooking cloves with rice gives a nice aroma.
2. Heat oil in a pan, saute bay leaves and cinnamon.
3. Add onion and saute is until it becomes translucent.
4. Add ginger garlic paste and remaining spices, saute again for a few mins
5. Break the egg directly into the pan and stir it well so that the egg disintegrates and starts cooking.
6. Add tomato puree and the vegetables, sprinkle some salt. Add water if desired for the vegetables to cook. Make sure you dont make it too runny.. otherwise the pulao will turn out soggy.
7. Once the vegetables are cooked through add the boiled eggs and stir, turn off the heat and transfer the cooked rice form the rice cooker into the vegetable pan and give it a quick mix. Avoid over mixing otherwise the rice will break and you will end-up with a mushy pulao
Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve.