Sunday, August 8, 2010
Potatoes cooked, diced, spiced,rolled into balls, dropped into chickpeas batter and then deep fried into golden brown goodness, we call Wadas. Fresh Mint chutney recipe here, sounds like a natural accompaniment to warm wadas. In Bombay, wadas are a popular snack in street side stalls. People old and young enjoy this delicacy all the same. Its easy to make and is a great mid-afternoon snack with tea or coffee.
Ingredients for Wada:
3 Potatoes boiled, skinned and cubed into bite size pieces.
2 tsp oil + more oil for frying
1 tsp Cumin seeds
3-4 green chilies chopped or as per taste.
Juice of 1 small lemon(1 tbsp)
2 cups besan(chickpeas flour)
2 tbs corn flour
2 tbs chili powder or as per taste
Juice from 1 lemon
salt as per taste
1. Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan
2. When the oil is hot add cumin followed by green chilies
3. Add potatoes, salt and lemon juice
4. Stir well, cover and turn off the heat.
5. Once the mixture cools, make ping pong sized round balls.
6. Mix all the ingredients under batter section. Make sure there are no lumps.
7.Heat oil for frying in a deep pan.
8. Drop the potato balls in the batter and then into the frying pan.
9. Let the wadas turn golden brown before taking them out.
Serve the golden brown wadas with Mint chutney. Enjoy!