Saturday, January 15, 2011

Tofu Tikka Masala



Here is Paneer Tikka masala with a healthier twist. I substituted Tofu for Paneer but nobody missed the yummy, high-calorie Paneer. In-fact people were surprised to know it was Tofu and not Paneer. I give the credit to Costco's Tofu(firmness level 4), they were firmer and more porous than the ones in TJs/Vons. Because it was so porous it marinated well, taking in all the rich spices in the gravy. I plan on getting my Tofu from Costco henceforth. Glad that I tried them out!

Ingredients for marinated Tofu:
1/2 a pound of cubed firm tofu(Costco sells them in packs of 3, I used half of one pack)
2 tablespoon yogurt
1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
Any spices you would like, I added the following:
2 tsp of cumin-coriander powder
1 tsp red chili powder
pinch of salt.

Ingredients for the sauce:
1/2 cup of tomato puree
1 diced green bell pepper(optional)
The usual Indian seasoning-
2 bay leaves
pinch of Hing
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp sugar
2 tbsp chili powder (adjust as per spice tolerance)
1/2 tsp of garam masala

Method:
Marinate the tofu by mixing together all the ingredients for tofu marination and refrigerate for about an hour. Once marinated shallow fry them on a pan to get a golden crust on all sides.Remove the tofu and use the same pan to make the sauce. Add a little oil and saute all the spices one by one, then add the tomato sauce and bring to a simmer. Once the sauce starts thickening mix the tofu piece into it gently and turn off the gas.

Goes well with Rice or Chapati

8 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I love your blog. This recipe sounds delicious but how do I make this dish healthier?

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great thinking.I guess extra firm tofu would work.TOfu is so versatile and I am glad to see your recipe,(I am fond of all things Indidan)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Anonymous- I am glad you like the blog. Its pretty healthy on it own now :) but I guess you could bake tofu instead of shallow frying it though I have never tried that myself. You can also saute the spices in a broth and make it healthier that way. Hope that helps!

    @Rajani- Thanks Rajani!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic side dish for rotis. Liked your idea of replacing paneer with tofu

    ReplyDelete
  5. First time here...

    U have a wonderful space with delicious recipes

    Gravy looks spicy and delicious

    Check my space when u find time

    ArunaManikandan
    http://ensamayalkuripugal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Padhu,Aruna- Thanks for dropping by. I appreciate your kind and encouraging words.

    ReplyDelete
  7. First time here,excellent space...
    do visit mine if time permits:)
    www.premascook.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. yummy dish...tofu makes it much more healthier...I love this dish...
    Reva

    ReplyDelete