Saturday, November 12, 2011
We just love this hearty vegetable soup not only is it yummy but its also super nutritious. I try to include Quinoa in our diet because of its high protein content. Quinoa goes well in Pilafs and Biryanis. It makes a great substitute for rice, more about it on a later post. Today for supper we are enjoying a vegetarian Quinoa soup. Meat lovers could substitute some of the vegetables with any meat of your choice.
0. 1 cup Quinoa
1. 1 Qt vegetable broth (alternately water)
2. 1 can red kidney beans
3. 1 medium Potato
4. 1 cup mix of chopped carrots, beans and corn(I used frozen)
5. 1 cup chopped spinach(I used frozen)
6. 1 medium onion chopped
7. 3 Green chillies slit in the middle(or as per spice tolerance)
8. 2 tbsp coriander powder
9. 1 tbsp cumin seeds
10. 1 tsp turmeric powder
Salt as per taste
0. Rinse Quinoa thoroughly and set aside.
1. In a pressure cooker saute onion and chillies followed by cumin, coriander and turmeric powders
2. Add all the vegetables followed by quinoa and saute for about 2 minutes, add salt
3. Pressure cook on medium for 3 whistles
4. Check the consistency of the soup add more broth (or water) and salt/pepper as necessary.
Serve with wheat thins.