Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Tamarind Chutney



Tamarind chutney is a thick sweet and sour chutney usually used as a dip or topped on chaats for a tangy taste. It gets its sweetness from Dates and sugar, sourness from tamarind and lemon juice. I took this recipe from Marlena Spieler's 'Yummy Potatoes', pretty much followed the recipe as is. I have not dared make this chutney before because all the recipes I have come across called for soaking or boiling for long hours. This recipe beats them all because I got it ready in less than 10 mins!

Ingredients:
2 tbsp Tamarind paste or powder. If using fresh tamarind, remove seeds and then soak in hot water for about 20 mins.
5 seedless dates. I had the wet kind we get in Costco.
2 tsp Cumin seeds
1 cup water
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp lemon juice

Method:
Boil all the ingredients together for 5 mins. After it cools down grind it to a fine paste.

No comments:

Post a Comment